Warning for Pet Owners!

DO NOT LET YOUR PET EAT DEAD FISH! Keep your pet safe by keeping them away from the dead fish at Foster Reservoir. Dogs, cats and people can get incredibly sick from consuming salmon carcasses in any way. Salmon carcasses may harbor bacteria in their blood that can make dogs very sick. Salmon poisoning is caused when dogs eat a salmon carcass infected with an organism in the blood called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. Without treatment, salmon poisoning is often fatal. Symptoms include severe vomiting and diarrhea. Fortunately, with treatment most dogs will survive. If you see your dog eating a dead salmon, or even around one, take them to the veterinarian right away. Don't wait for your dog to get sick as prophylactic treatments can prevent a more serious illness. The sooner your dog gets treated, the less likely they will get sick and need expensive treatments.  -ODFW

See all alerts